You choice of drumming shoes may have never even crossed your mind, but it can actually have quite an impact on your performance.
You should look for a shoe that gets out of your way as much as possible.
Minimal or low profile shoes are usually a great option for this reason.
The best characteristics to look for are: low weight, good grip, and comfortable fit.
The Best Drumming Shoes – Our Pick
1. Converse Chuck Taylor Low Top
When it comes to drumming capabilities, Converse shoes are the best ones that you can consider. We have all seen and wore Converse Chuck Taylor when we were kids, and even our parents wore them back in the day. That is the main reason why they maintained their popularity over the years.
When you go to a rock concert or show before, you will see people all around you wear them. They are iconic of musician for this particular genre and style, and that fact has not changed for years that came.
The best choice that you can make is to find the low-top model of this shoe because it is much more convenient to put it on. Some users state that they got blisters by wearing high-top model.
Of course, you can choose a wide array of color options, and they come with a flat sole, which is perfect for your pedals. For instance, the most famous drummers that wear Converse shoes are Tree Cool from Green Day and Ben Gillies from Silverchair.
2. PUMA Men’s Turin Fashion Sneaker
If you wish to find shoes that will provide you the perfect combination of performance, style, and quality, you should consider PUMA Men’s Turin Fashion Sneakers for drumming purposes.
They come from synthetic leather and feature solid rubber sole so that you can handle pedals with ease.
As soon as you start practicing with your band, you do not feel discomfort due to lousy shoes. That could cause severe issues from blisters to other problems that could happen along the way.
Fortunately, you do not have to think twice, because, with these particular shoes, you can rest assured and enjoy all the way.
Have in mind that Puma sizes tend to be smaller than conventional, which means that you should always go for one size up so that you can get the ones that fit perfectly.
3. Emerica Reynolds Low Vulc Skate Shoe
Emerica Reynolds Low Vulc Skate shoes are perfect for drumming because they are comfortable and loose during the wearing. This is the Andrew Reynolds signature shoe, and it was always an excellent choice for skateboarders.
However, apart from playing sports, you will be able to play drums with them, and you will feel as comfortable as possible. The main reason for that is their flexible nature that will provide you the ability for your legs to breathe during the performance and gig.
They are also lightweight, similarly as any other skater shoes on the market, which will provide you exceptional comfort and convenience while playing.
You can find a wide array of colors, and you do not have to worry because it comes with an affordable price tag so that you can enjoy the entire ay.
4. Adidas Original Superstar
This is also an old school version of sneakers that was popularized by rockers, metalheads and finally Run DMC. In all combinations, you will be able to enjoy in their exceptional comfort due to materials that they are using.
Both modern and iconic shoe boasted thousands of sales across the globe. It is also one of the most popular shoes on the market with an exceptional design that was around since the ’70s.
Even though it is similar to Chuck Taylors, the all-star classic, you will be able to enjoy in additional comfort while wearing them on stage.
The main disadvantage is that you have to spare a small fortune to get them and they were always expensive when compared with others on this particular list. However, if the budget is not your concern, you should choose Adidas Original Superstar instead of others.
5. Adidas Performance Men’s Samba Classic
Adidas Performance Men’s Samba Classic is very comfortable shoes that will provide you slip-free experience when it comes to drumming. They contain non-marking outsoles that are made from durable gum rubber that will give you additional stability.
You do not have to worry because even though the upper shoes are leather, they are flexible. They contain EVA insole, which is not that comfortable, but you will be able to wear it at gigs and rehearsals with ease.
Have in mind that you will be able to remove sock liners in a few seconds, and suede overlay will provide them additional protection so that you can use it for years after purchase.
Similarly, like any other Adidas shoes, they are not the cheapest on the market, but the quality to price ratio is outstanding for professional drummers.
Best Drumming Shoes – Buying Guide
- Weight – The first consideration that you should make when it comes to buying the best drumming shoes on the market is their weight. According to professional drummers, the lighter shoes are, the more comfortable playing will be. The idea is to find the one that will stop you from playing barefoot, and for you to feel only a tiny portion of weight that will help you play bass pedal. Since the force of gravity brings the importance of shoes down along with your foot, you will have much more impactful kick with lighter choices.
- Pedal Grip – Most drummers nowadays feature an extreme grip on bass pedals because that way they can play tighter and faster and gain the proper amount of friction as a result. When you decide to choose a pair of drum shoes, you should decide on how much grip you should like on pedals. For instance, some drummers such as Jogo Myer are wearing shoes with leather bottom for additional slippage. However, when you have an extreme grip on your pedals that you are playing will be different, and you will not be able to deal with specific techniques without wearing a slippery sole.
- Materials – Everyone enjoys wearing the comfortable shoe, and you have to make sure that your shoes are extra comfortable while playing drums. When you are playing gigs with lousy shoes, you will pay for it afterward, and that is a fact in the form of blisters. Therefore, you should choose the shoes that feature flexible materials and the ones that you will be able to wear without an addition You can select canvas, suede or thin leather for instance.
As you can see from everything, we have mentioned above; it is not that simple to find the best drumming shoes on the market. However, we have presented you thorough reviews and buying a guide on the best drumming shoes so that you can determine which ones are the best for your needs.
Of course, it is important to remember that it is not that hygienic to play without shoes and avoid choosing the thick and robust ones because you will not be able to play, as you wanted in the first place.